Thursday 8 December 2011

Passenger Seat by Death Cab for Cutie

Passenger Seat features  on the Death Cab for Cutie album Transatlanticism, their fourth album, released in October 2003.  It was written by the band's leader and singer Ben Gibbard.
To me, the song is a meditation.  Musically, it is based on a looping and haunting piano figure which cradles the vocal melody but never matches it.
The narrative is stated by either a lover, a loved one, or maybe a child, being driven home in the car and looking at the night stars.
I roll the window down 
And then begin to breathe in
The darkest country road
And the strong scent of evergreen
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home

Then looking upwards
I strain my eyes 
And try to tell the difference 
Between shooting stars and satellites
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home

"Do they collide?"
I ask and you smile
With my feet on the dash
The world doesn't matter

When you feel embarrassed then I'll be your pride
When you need directions then I'll be the guide
For all time
For all time
The song is about eternity and an eternal committment - "for all time" - between two people.
Musically it is simple and stunning.  I think it sounds unique [although my wife thinks it sounds like "Bridge over troubled waters";maybe not in melody but in mood and atmosphere].


It might be profound - but it doesn't try too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment